Thursday, February 18, 2010

Here's an "app" for the integrity gap

Career strategist and workplace consultant J.T. O'Donnell of CareerRealism blogged recently about the integrity gap each of us faces. Her aha moment came when she read Collin Nanka's blog about his own gap.

Both use leadership developer Robin Sharma's definition of the gap:

There can be no lasting happiness if you daily schedule is misaligned with your deepest values. If there is a gap between what you do and who you are, you are out of integrity. An integrity gap. The bigger the gap, the less your life will work and the less happiness you will feel. Some people would describe this concept as being congruent (the state achieved by coming together, the state of agreement) or having your video aligned with your audio. Internally, the values that lives deep inside you, your conscious will see it if you are misaligned. Too many people talk a good game, but talk is cheap and it really shows in your schedule and what you do.

This ties in so closely to what I do with my clients and with myself. The more focused I become on the priorities in my life, the more closely aligned I feel with my own integrity, and the better my life becomes. I coach my job-seeking clients in the same direction. Find your direction, your purpose, your dream, or at least get a sense of what it might be. Then, and only then, move forward with a job search and resume.

I am always studying this and have been for as long as I can remember. So, it's not unusual that I found a course along those lines. What is unusual is that four months later, I am working that system even harder than I did the day after the seminar.

It's called LifeWoRx by Design, by founder, author, and presenter Don Cote of The Center for the Creation and Preservation of Wealth. In a nutshell that does not do it justice, LifeWoRx helps the student put into practice the rules and processes found in Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich, the best-selling business book of all time.

Hill's book is invaluable for anyone who wants to get their life and career on a better track. What Don has done is codified the work. That's the app. If Hill suggests a process, Cote has a worksheet. For now, it's on paper, but they're working on an electronic version, as well, for those folks like me who live and die by their smartphone and Outlook.

If you're interested in a seminar that really does work, one that you'll take home and DO, contact Don.
The next LifeWoRx seminar is the weekend of March 19-21, 2010. Online registration is available. 

If you want to find out more about the seminar from a student's standpoint, email me at jeri@workwrite.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment