Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Passion and the right job: Which comes first?

 Here's a little exchange from one of my Linked In groups:

Information Technology: Networking, Forum and Jobs

Kathy A. Walton  PMP, an IT Project Manager, asked:

 "Do you need to have a passion
before you can find the right job?"

In this career search we always seem to hear that we need to "follow your passion". For example, if your passion is to bake cupcakes and feed your friends, maybe you should look into opening a bakery.

What if it's really the opposite? What if my passion regarding the "right" job doesn't fit this model?

My passion is to love the job I have. I should like going to work almost as much as I like going away from work. Within that I can do all sorts of things, and I can do a great job! I could be entirely happy baking cupcakes as long as it supports my family and the people are nice. I can thoroughly enjoy being a project manager and putting in new infrastructure because I like to see that something that I am responsible for is completed successfully. I could love being a farmer or cowboy (cowgirl?) because it always smells so good outside and I think horses are magnificant.

So do I really have to define a passion and then find a job to meet that, or can I be passionate that I find a job that I really like doing, whatever the definition of that is? I think I can.

Here's my answer (I love it so much 
because I get to talk about passion to IT folks):

Wherever it is written that the secret to happiness is to find the positive energy and passion in whatever you are doing has your picture next to it, Kathy. Brava!

Unfortunately, many - I would venture to say most - of us have not reached your advanced state of peace and presence. We are still searching for something that engages our passion to give meaning and purpose to our lives.

When we find that object of our passion, that cupcake kitchen, all too often, we make excuses for why we can't do it.

  •  It doesn't make enough money; the economy is bad.
  •  It's not practical; nobody is buying cupcakes.
  • Everybody else is satisfied being a project manager; we should be, too.
  • Nobody else loves to bake cupcakes; we will be judged as not fitting into
  • the world we fought so long to fit.
Rather than follow our passion or become passionate about our existing path, we stay on the path that has produced halfway happiness. Our performance level drops because we realize this is not our passion or we are not willing to give what is necessary to become passionate about our current position. Perhaps, we receive negative feedback which stokes the lukewarm coals of resentment. We burn out because it takes an enormous amount of energy to perform a job for which we lack passion.

Change is hard, but it is often in the difficulty that we learn about ourselves and our world. Recognizing our passion is an art that takes incalculable self knowledge. Following it takes even more courage. Understanding that it lies in accepting and loving our current circumstances is the ultimate challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment